KC and the Sunshine Band along with the Groove Doctor, will be playing this year’s Celebrity Concert for Charity. You can catch them at Fraze on Friday, July 1st. But first, brush up on your KC & the Sunshine Band knowledge before you boogie down!
1. The group was founded in 1973 in Miami, Florida by Harry Wayne Casey.
2. “Get Down Tonight” was the group’s first hit.
3. Before KC & the Sunshine Band, Casey worked in a record store, and he worked at Tone Record Distributors, which is how he met Henry Stone who owned Tone Distributors and TK Recording and gave Casey his big break.
4. Casey specifically wrote repetitive choruses into the group’s songs because the customers in his record store would often forget the title of the song they’d heard on the radio.
5. The 1978 single, “Boogie Shoes,” while not a huge hit at the time, has become well-known thanks to its inclusion on the wildly successful Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.
6. Their music has been featured on over 200 motion picture soundtracks.
7. Guitar solos in “Get Down Tonight” are actually sped up to twice their normal speed.
8. They became the first act to score four #1 pop singles in one 12-month period since the Beatles in 1964.
9. Casey received Grammy Awards for Album of the Year, as well as Producer of the Year in 1978 for his work on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.
10. KC and the Sunshine Band have been entertaining audiences around the world for over 37 years, and have sold in excess of 100 million records.